Your child will be in a small group for phonics depending on what they need to learn. As they acheive each area they will be moved to the next group. When the children can orally blend and segment we will start to teach the letter sounds. Below are the different areas of phonics in phase 1.
- Knowing that they use their ears to listen with.
- Differentiating between different sounds e.g naming sounds in the environment or pairing musical instruments.
- Make loud and quiet sounds.
- Copying voice sounds.
- Creating sounds for a picture e.g. a train.
- Join in with action rhymes.
- Copy a rhythm using sounds made with their body e.g. clapping, stamping, tapping.
- Clap out the rhythm of a word.
- Say the number of syllables in a word.
- Repeating initial sounds.
- Saying the initial sounds of words.
- Orally blending sounds.
- orally segmenting sounds.
We will also be getting the children to repeat rhyming strings, match objects that rhyme and continue a rhyming string. You can help your child at home by singing lots of different nursery rhymes and reading rhyming stories.